Waukesha Attorney Mark Powers currently focuses in the area of criminal defense, and has handled many cases involving operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, domestic disputes, and drug offenses. Mark was previously an Assistant District Attorney with the Waukesha County District Attorney’s office. Given his prior experience with the District Attorney’s office, Mark has had the opportunity to work on numerous criminal cases, from simple traffic citations, up to 1″ degree intentional homicide.
While working as an Assistant District Attorney, Mark taught legal updates to the law enforcement community, focusing on Fourth Amendment issues as they pertain to DWI offense as well as entry into homesteads. Mark has had the opportunity to litigate numerous cases, including jury trials and motion hearings.
While practicing as a criminal defense attorney, Mark has been able to successfully negotiate plea deals including the reduction of felonies and misdemeanors and has been able to argue favorable sentences to the court on his client’s behalf. Additionally, Mark is currently the Municipal Judge for the North Prairie Joint Municipal Court.
Mark attended Valparaiso University School of Law, where he received his Juris Doctorate. Prior to law school, Mark attended the University of Wisconsin, Lacrosse where he received his bachelor of science in Political Science.
Given his prior experience and training, Mark has the ability to sit down with his clients and explain legal complexities in a way that make sense to those who have never been involved in the court system. Mark will be upfront with you regarding and legal issues that may or may not be present in your case.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Wisconsin, 1982 -Present
- American Bar Association, 1982 -Present
- American Inns of Court, 1994
- Waukesha County Bar Association, 1982 -Presen
Classes and Seminars
Instructor, Business Law, Stratton College, Milwaukee, WI, 1982 -1985
Past Employment Positions
- Von Briesen and Redmond, S.C., Law Clerk, 1979 -1980
- Waukesha County District Attorney’s Office, Legal Intern, 1980 -1982
- Van Skike & Huppertz, Partner, 1982 -1988
- Carlson & Huppertz, S.C., Partner, 1988 -1996
- Huppertz & Kuhary, S.C., Partner, 1996 -2005
- Law Offices of Matthew H. Huppertz, Partner,
- Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1982 J.D.
- Marquette University, 1979 B.A.
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Honors: With Honors
- Marquette University High School, 1975