Federal health officials recently released the results of their studies on substance abuse in 2014. These are some of the statistics they uncovered about American citizens:
- Around 53% of Americans 12 and older use alcohol
- Over 10% use illegal drugs
- More than 21 million are dependent or impaired by drugs or alcohol
- Over 139 million Americans drank alcohol, of which 10% admitted heavy usage and approximately 1/3 binge drank
- 6 million report disorders related to substance abuse
- Around 22 million used marijuana, and 4.3 million used prescription painkillers recreationally in 2014
In addition to these nationwide statistics, last year’s study also revealed that Wisconsin has one of the highest drug and alcohol abuse rates in America. And among those who admit they drink and drive or binge drink, the highest number of them live in Wisconsin. Alarmingly, the number of drug-related deaths has almost doubled in the last ten years.
With these figures, it’s no surprise the substance abuse-related arrests have also climbed in Wisconsin—almost three times the average of other states. From OWI arrests to drug possession, these charges can have serious consequences in every aspect of your life.
If you’ve been arrested for substance abuse crimes in Wisconsin, the Waukesha attorneys at Huppertz & Powers, S.C., will fight for the best outcome to protect your future.
You can schedule a free consultation by calling 262-549-5979, filling out our criminal defense intake form, or by sending us an email.